Hemant K. Batra
LL.B (PU CHD), B.A. (DAV CHD), O.C.C American Laws (UPenn), O.C. (Berklee College of Music-Boston)
- Hemant is a policy specialist & international corporate lawyer with over 25 years’ experience. He is Vice President of SAARCLAW (South Asian Association For Regional Co-Operation In Law), a regional apex body of SAARC, an inter-governmental body of 8 nations. He is also fond of writing & speaking on current topics of importance be it on legal or policy or economic issues. He is well acclaimed legal commentator & writer.
- He has successfully executed diverse domestic and global assignments such as mergers, acquisitions, cross border transactions & investments, joint ventures, corporate compliances, corporate governance, corporate social responsibility, commercial agreements, transactional documentation, private equity, regulatory work, agreements, anti-corruption, anti-bribery compliance, legal auditing etc. governed by corporate, commercial laws, FDI, trade and economic laws.
- He is winner of England’s prestigious Corporate-INTL Lawyer Award for the years 2014, 2015 & 2016. And UK’s Global Law Experts Award for 2017 in the category of Joint Ventures.
- His qualifications include – Bachelor of Laws (LL.B) – Professional, Law – Panjab University (Chandigarh), India 1991; Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Humanities, DAV College, Chandigarh, India 1988; Developing Musicianship – Berklee College of Music, USA 2015; Official Certificate Course – Laws of United States – University of Pennsylvania Law School, USA 2015; Harvard Law School – Program, Corporate Law & Legal Profession 2013
- He began his legal career in 1991 on his enrollment with the Delhi Bar Council as an Advocate; and induction in one of India’s largest firms of Solicitors. In 1995 he joined a well-known law firm specializing in banking, insolvency and restructuring laws; and became Managing Partner of its Corporate/Commercial Law Practice Office in 2000. In 2003, he founded Kaden Boriss, law firm with specialization in corporate, commercial, transactional and FDI law practice. Kaden Boriss evolved as a global law firm with expansions in India, Australia and UAE. He is member of the Supreme Court of India and Delhi High Court Bar Associations.
- He was awarded with prestigious Mahatma Gandhi Seva Medal by the Gandhi Global Foundation. He is the elected Secretary General of SAARCLAW (South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law). He is associated with various projects of UN, UNDP, UNAIDS, UN-ESCAP, ADB and IDLO. He is Chair of the South Asia Committee of Indian National Bar Association. He is Mentor at Indian School of Business, Hyderabad. He is Director, South Asia Region on the Advisory Group of the World NGO Day Initiative (WND) based in London. He has written as well as lectured widely. He is a visiting Guest Speaker to various international universities and institutions. Until 2015, he has spoken as a Speaker at more than 200 international conferences, seminars and workshops on varied topics of commercial/corporate law importance. He has travelled extensively around the world including America, Australia, Austria, Bhutan, China, Czech Republic, Dubai, England, Germany, Greece, Holland, Hong Kong, Hungary, Indonesia, Kuwait, Italy, Philippines, Russia, South Korea, Turkey and Thailand. He has been widely reported in various sections of print and electronic media including India Today, Outlook, Financial Express, The Hindu, CNBC, Zee etc. Most of these coverage are available on the web/internet.
- He holds (or has held) following positions –
- Chairman, Panel of Jury at ACES Awards
- Chairman, South Asia Committee at Indian National Bar Association
- Contributing Author at Speaking Threads
- Secretary General at SAARCLAW (South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation in Law)
- Mentor – DLabs at Indian School of Business
- Visiting Faculty at FORE School of Management, New Delhi
- Director, South Asia Region at World NGO Day Initiative (WND), London
- Senior Project Legal Adviser at UNDP & UNAIDS
- Guest Lecturer at Harvard Law School
- Editor-in-Chief at SAARCLAW Research and Publication Centre
- Guest Lecturer at Indian School of Business
- Advisory Board Member at Organization for International Cooperation (OIC), USA
- Founder at AKNOI
- Adviser ADB, IDLO & SAARC
- Member at Leadership Committee – ICAAP11 – UN
- Chairperson at International Infrastructure and Construction Law Arbitration Moot, Singapore
- Regional Observer – Global Commission (HIV & Law) at United Nations
- Founder – International Music Label – Urf Hekbat
- His has published books titled – `SAARC – Text Book’ and `Doing Business in India – Made Easy’. He has authored more than 200 articles, which have been widely published.